To make the best of the brief time we have together, I encourage conversations! Here are some of my favorite questions to ask around the dinner table, starting with what I call “Glow and Grows”! Here are some examples of my favorite questions to ask my family:
- What was the best part of your day?
- What would have made your day even better?
- Did you laugh today? What was funny?
- Ifyou could be any animal, what would it be?
- What’s your favorite super hero power?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- Can you guess the ingredients in the meal tonight?
Growing up, my family was so busy that we rarely sat down for dinner together until Sundays. All of my cousins came over and my grandmother would help my mom cook this big Italian meal. It was such a special time around the table.
My husband and I talk about how to get our family to sit down and eat together regularly, regardless of how busy we are. Three kids later, we still use dinner to check in with each other from the day and eat some good food (even if its takeout). It’s time for us to sit, eat, and reflect without distractions. All the pieces of the puzzle are together when we have Family Dinner Nights.